Bacon-wrapped Goat Cheese

After I had dinner at Kanzlei Restaurant last month, I vowed to recreate some of its food at home. It’s a fun thing to do, trying to make something you’ve seen elsewhere and adding your own little twist to it. This is something I do quite often, and not only as it relates to cooking. When I see something I like in somebody’s approach to life or in their house décor or in their kitchen, I adapt it myself. Is it idea theft? Sure. But that’s my way of learning and evolving. I learn by observing and emulating others, just like a one year old would. Speaking of babies, one of my friends who is a new mother, had just created a Gmail account for her newborn son with his firstname.lastname as the username. I thought this was brilliant and hilarious at the same time. Totally theft-worthy. And since I do not have any children of my own, I have briefly considered ‘reserving’ some potential baby name plus our last name combinations. Which is a bit insane, I admit. My small-time idea stealing or should I say inspiration drawing from German restaurants pales in comparison. Anyway, one could hardly call cheese wrapped in bacon a unique or proprietary idea. Everyone knows that wrapping anything in bacon makes it taste better, right?

Ingredients:

log of goat cheese
12 slices of bacon
cooking spray
chives

Cut the goat cheese in four equal disks and wrap each one of them in bacon, making sure that no parts of the cheese stay uncovered. Heat up a large frying pan and spray it with a cooking spray to prevent the bacon from sticking. Fry the bacon-wrapped cheese for 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve as an appetizer, garnished with chives.

Servings: 4 (about 250 kcal/serving)

9 Responses to Bacon-wrapped Goat Cheese
  1. Wizzythestick
    March 22, 2010 | 12:59 am

I love getting ideas for food from restaurants, friends and even blogs that I visit. Isn’t that why we blog about and read other blogs so that we can share and be inspired by others? this little morsel is a great idea.

2. Ina
    March 23, 2010 | 2:26 am

Not being privy to the food, I can only comment on your writing, which is really fantastic: honest, witty, silly and serious. I have a crush, and hence, will most likely obsess over this website for months to come. hope you are well!

3. Kasha@kitchencrush
    March 24, 2010 | 12:58 am

@Wizzythestick: you’re right, we can steal ideas together from now on :)

@Ina: obsess away! I am glad you like it, come visit us in d-dorf, I promise to cook something good :)

4. Gali
    March 24, 2010 | 5:08 pm

As you said in your tastespotting post, bacon does make everything better! This sounds quite tasty.

5. kathy
    April 7, 2010 | 8:30 pm

It absolutely looks and sound tasty. Bacon and cheese, what a meal.

6. Tiffany
    April 20, 2010 | 12:42 am

I only had bacon and goat cheese with fig in my fridge and needed to concoct something tasty for me to munch on…so thanks for the recipe. It was great!

7. Thomas
    June 4, 2010 | 11:08 pm

I fell in love with goat cheese a few months back and this definitely looks like something I’d like to try in the future. Thanks for the recipe.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks
  1. 100 Ways to Cook Bacon « The Dorm Chef
  2. Wrap yourself in bacon | Bacon Salt Cluster Blog about Gourmet Seasoning, Spice, Salt and BACON!