Grenadine Poached Pears

Tim’s parents are going on a trip to Andalusia in April, so for Christmas, we got them a book on Andalusian cuisine and culture.  It’s a beautiful book full of sumptuous and vibrant photos and recipes that make you slobber just by looking at them.  It is actually authored by a German and it seems not to have an English equivalent (I knew there must have been some benefit to learning German).  Anyway, this book is seriously awesome and if it wasn’t horribly rude (and easy to figure out who it was), I would have stolen it from Tim’s parents, at the first chance I got.  Instead, the little freak that I am, on our last visit in Saxony, I spent a full hour photocopying various recipes.  The one I wanted to try out first was Peras en grenadina or Grenadine Poached Pears.  I’ve always found poached pears rather cool and sophisticated, and didn’t really realize that it was just boiled pears, which in turn means, that it is a pretty easy dish, not to mention, a pretty pretty dish, as well.

Ingredients:

250ml (8.5fl.oz) water
100g (3.5oz) sugar
4 small, firm pears
125ml (4.2 fl.oz) grenadine syrup
mint

Put the sugar in the water and bring to a boil.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Peel the pears, leaving the stems on.  Add the grenadine to the water, put in the pears and cook, covered, on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, till soft.  Put the pears in a bowl and let the liquid cook on very high heat till it reduced by half.  Pour it over the pears and chill in the fridge for at least two hours.  Serve decorated with mint and pomegranate seeds.

Servings: 4 (about 285 kcal/serving)

Adapted from: Andalusien: Küche und Kultur. Für die Sinne by Margit Kunzke

6 Responses to Grenadine Poached Pears
  1. Ciaochowlinda
    March 13, 2010 | 7:53 pm

This is such an elegantly simple dish and elegant photo. I’m wondering about trying it with pomegranate juice, which is basically what grenadine is, no? Shall have to try.

2. Kasha@kitchencrush
    March 14, 2010 | 9:10 pm

@Ciaochowlinda: Grenadine is essentially pomegranate syrup (i.e. condensed juice). I am sure this recipe would also work with other syrups, although the required quantity of syrup may vary per flavor.

3. Jim
    March 15, 2010 | 7:47 pm

Similar concept to “Pears poached in Port”, or “Pears in red wine”. This version would probably be best with vanilla ice cream, while the port wine version is served with blue cheese and walnuts.

4. Margit Kunzke
    June 21, 2010 | 9:13 am

As author of the bokk “Andalusien, Küche und Kultur) Andalucia, kitchen and culture)
    I am very pleased of the nice compliments for my book. Thank you.
    Many of my English friends in Spain would like the book translated into English. But there is still no English publishing company, who is interested. What a pity.

Best regards

Margit Kunzke

5. Kasha@kitchencrush
    October 10, 2010 | 8:14 pm

Dear Margit, Happy to see you visiting my blog. I think your book is fantastic… I will definitely be trying out other recipes, and let’s keep the fingers crossed for an English edition in not so faraway future. For the moment, your cook book is one of the motivators for me to keep improving my German. Liebe Grüβe aus Düsseldorf – Kasha

6. Carole Halliday
    December 6, 2012 | 2:04 pm

I made this fabulous dish for a dinner party & served it with prawn cocktail.
    The pears were a wonderful deep red & all my friends loved it.
    I am going to make it for my Christmas day starter. Bon a petite